Merlin Entertainments

That's The Ticket

Building a presence through a continued focus on search traffic


Merlin Entertainments Group manage high profile attractions worldwide including London Eye and Madame Tussauds.

In 2011, Deepend built four new websites for Merlin’s iconic attractions which included Sydney Aquarium & Sydney Tower Eye. The underlying challenge was to increase online revenue through an initial redesign of the 4 attraction sites, management of various digital properties and ongoing optimisation of the sites via web analytics.


Our initial response was to redesign the 4 sites and encourage users to buy rather than ‘browse' - a symptom of the old sites. The new sites were built on Umbraco CMS to help manage the large magnitude of content seamlessly. 

Once the new sites had launched we then focussed on a series of incremental projects to increase revenue. Our method was to gain insight through a test and learn approach and then apply lessons learned across the other sites. This included A/B testing features such as video and interactive tools to identify which medium best communicated each venues offering. We then ran a series of multivariate tests to understand the optimal combination of copy, image and CTA to use when promoting prices and offers within promo tiles. 


The immediate effect of the site redesigns delivered 230% more users to the ticket pages, this change in behaviour drove an increase of 8% in revenue per month. Further optimisation projects achieved through our test and learn approach drove an incremental 12% in revenue per month. Collectively within the first 6 months of redesign and optimisation revenue had increased by 20% per month compared to the pre re-design figure.

Related tags for the
That's The Ticket
230% more users
on the ticket pages
20% increase
in revenue